Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Packers Game


My sister Ellen, my brother Tommy, his girlfriend Sally and I went to the Packers game on Sunday. Prior to going, I shopped for new boots, hat, scarf, gloves, ski pants, and ski jacket. I also bought hand warmers. Winter is not cheap. High temperature for the game was 17 degrees.

We drove to the game wearing only 8 layers of clothing and put the rest on in the car when we arrived at the stadium. This is a great challenge, as you cannot move too much with all these layers, yet you are trying to lift your leg to put it into snowpants. Oh, it helps to take the boots off before putting the snowpants on. But don't touch your sock to the floor of the car because it's puddled with melted snow.

Once dressed, we stepped out of the car and made our own tailgate party. The car next to us was tailgating with bottled beer, as soon as they opened a bottle, they had enough time for one sip before the beer froze solid. It was amazing. Our cans were not freezing. We were using straws to drink so we could insert them through the holes in our knit scarves. The bottle boys tried to put hand warmers on the bottles to keep the beer from freezing, but that didn't work. They offered to trade us 2 bottles of beer for one can. What did they think we were, stupid? I think it would be a great science experiment to figure out why bottle beer freezes so fast and canned beer doesn't.

The night before the game I had made 4 poster boards, one for each of us to hold up so that we would be on tv. They were very professionally done, with creative messages. We got to our seats and the first opportunity to hold up the signs came and two women about 8 rows in front of us held up their signs with the exact message I had put on two of my signs. How could that even be possible? They were even in the same colors. I still can't believe it.

I brought a hefty bag full of goods into the game, and a lot of people in line were snickering at me. Three people even asked me what was in it. Truth be known, it contained a mink blanket (from Korea) and a bath mat (to sit on). Both items came in real handy, but my brother refused to climb under the blanket with us and said the bath mat was probably loaded with dead skin cells. When my sister and I would go to the bathroom, we would kindly cover the men in front of us (which kept the blanket out of the slush) and tell them, "Here you go boys, warm up a bit." When we walked out, that mink blanket weighed about 45 pounds, it had soaked up so much water and other spilled liquids.

The Packers lost the game in the last seconds, which meant 70,000 people were there until the very end and 40,000 cars hit the roads all at once. What a crappy ending to such a fun day.

No comments: