Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Welcome Home Plans

When I booked the American Legion Hall for Bob’s welcome home party, they were surprised that there would be only 40 attendees for the party. I explained to them he has never really lived here, only visited twice.

Then, word got out around town that this party was booked and it spread like wildfire.

I first got a call from Pat, who just got new dentures, so is really tough to understand. He said that the American Legion chapter president found out about the party and wanted to offer his support to ensure all went smoothly. Add one to the RSVP list.

Then the head of the VFW chapter made it known that he had not yet received his invite. Oops, didn’t have him on the list. Sent him an invite. Add one to the RSVP list.

Next I heard from some sweet woman named Amy who met me a year ago at the garden center and wanted to know if I wanted her to bring a casserole. Add one to the RSVP list.

I talked with a Legion member and told him about the large banner I’ve purchased and how I need a way to get it hung outside the Legion hall. He volunteered to take care of that for me. Add one to the RSVP list.

I met with the local Concertina player, who’s 79, and I paid for Allen’s daughter to have her first lesson. He’s so passionate about his music, he played for me for 30 minutes. Even sang. He told me he could play for 35 hours without looking at music sheets. Amazing. It was precious. Add one to the RSVP list.

Mom then called the radio station to sell the composting toilet and remembered the celebrity who worked there, Norm, who is 85 years old. He’s a local legend and also had served our country at one point. Add one to the RSVP list.

So…the list continues to grow. Not a problem.

Our next issue was the Legion wants to do something special as Bob is a “distinguished person.” They suggested that they have volunteers line the street with flags (add ### to the invite list) and when we arrive to the party they follow Bob into the hall playing some song about an “Old man” (from Bing Crosby’s White Christmas movie). I ran this past Bob and he laughed at the picture running through his mind. He then said that it would probably be too cold for those guys to wait on the street until our arrival. We may have to adapt that idea.

I have devised an awesome punch bowl ceremony…18 cups of orange juice which represents each month he lived under General Order #1, no alcohol…2 shots of Wild Turkey for the two Thanksgivings we spent apart…a bottle of German wine for the 8 months I spent in Germany…you get the drift.

I want the missing trooper table to represent those who are no longer with us. Bob says he grieves so much every day for those fallen troopers and their families that he doesn’t want to be reminded of it. But I think it’s for everyone else attending, to remind them of the sacrifice, so I want to do it.

I am so excited about Bob coming home and the fun of planning this party, but always in the back of my mind are those widows I know whose spouse will not come home and those families who are without their loved ones this holiday. God bless them.

2 comments:

Criztina said...

You are hilarious and wonderful all in the same breath. Thank you for thinking of all of us when you are so happy to be getting your sweet man home. When Robert came home to Dallas Texas, I was a one-woman show too. I lined the streets in 4 foot flags, banners down the street in every yard, every building I went to that 18 months had a banner by the kids or someone there. HE was really moved! I kept mine a surprise. The little ones were so proud to show daddy all the stuff that was planned for our HERO!
You do those flags, you drink those shots and you have a great christmas for all of us!

Elizabeth O'Brien-Gorkowski said...

Can't tell you how happy I am that you will be able to truly celebrate the holiday season. Can't begin to imagine your excitement. That being said, you have me laughing out loud already...perhaps you can video tape and post so we can see the cast of characters in real life?
In any case drink lots of the punch and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!